Summer Quinoa Chicken Salad with Roasted Corn, Tomatoes and Leeks
I had one of those nights this past week when I asked myself: What do I want to make for dinner? See this is unusual for me because I am a PLANNER.
I plan everything, especially dinners. Because if I didn’t, by the time dinner rolled around everyone would get a bowl of cheerios because I am so tired and beat up from my day with the kids that I could never use any brain power to come up with dinner.
However on this day, the kids took good naps so I was able to come up with something on the fly that was delicious and healthy.
I had a bunch of stuff leftover in the fridge: Costco Rotisserie Chicken, corn on the cob, leeks from our garden, a 1/2 avocado turning brown, some tomatoes, and a bag of baby spinach that really needed to be used. Seriously, I made the best dinner out of all of it! I am calling it my Summer Quinoa Chicken Salad with Roasted Corn, Tomatoes & Leeks.
Have you tried Quinoa? It is yummy, healthy, and a great alternative to rice. I usually buy it at Amazon. This “on the fly/use stuff out of our fridge” dinner will definitely be a repeat in this house. I am so glad I wrote down what I threw together and took a picture!
- 1 pint of cherry/sugar plum/grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 bunch of scallions or small leeks cut lengthwise (we had small leeks from our garden)
- 3 corn on the cob, kernels cut off
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (I used leftover Rotisserie Chicken)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1-6 oz bag baby spinach
- 1 avocado chopped
- 2 Tbls white wine
- 1 Tbls lime juice
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 Tbls Dijon mustard
- Heat oven to 425. Toss leeks, corn and tomatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper on baking sheet. Roast leeks, corn, tomatoes for 15 min. Toss and roast for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to box directions. My Trader Joe’s kind cooks 1 cup in about 15 minutes. You boil 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water. Remove from stove and put in large bowl.
- In small dish, whisk together dressing. Set aside.
- Add shredded chicken, roasted corn, tomatoes and leeks to quinoa in large bowl.
- Next add baby spinach and chopped avocado.
- Pour dressing over all and toss. Serve and enjoy!