A humidifier is an important item which you should not miss when setting up your child’s nursery. These are very beneficial for treating eczema to relieving a sore throat. It also helps to ease a stuffy nose. We have compiled 6 best humidifiers for your baby which we think might help.
They work by pumping moisture into the air. It contributes to counteract the effects of your central heating system. It helps to keep your child’s skin smooth, soft and clear throughout the winter season. Further, it also contributes to preventing the spread of influenza.
Also, warm mist humidifiers are effective at killing germs and virus. It also offers added perks like increasing the humidity in your baby’s room a lot quicker. Cool mist humidifiers are also safe in case your child gets her hands on it. It is also good if your child suffers from croup.
There is nothing more you can do if your little one suffers a cold. All you can do is provide lots of comfort and snuggles as possible. It is why a humidifier comes handy. The moist air will help to ease upper respiratory symptoms. It also soothes sore throats as your baby is sleeping.
Do you need a humidifier?
You need to think about getting a humidifier as an essential item for your baby especially during the cold and flu season. However, you need to keep the humidifier well cleaned. It helps to avoid dispersion of mold or bacteria into the air.
When looking at purchasing a humidifier, you have two basic types to select from. These include cool mist and warm mist humidifiers. These will work well to add moisture to the air. For babies, cool mist humidifiers are recommended to use around small children. It is because your child could get burnt by the steam or hot water in the unit when he gets close by.
Kinds of humidifiers
These are the best recommendation for babies and work by absorbing water into a wick. It then expels it into the room using a fan. Whenever you buy a console humidifier, there is a high chance that it is an evaporative humidifier.
It works through a more natural form of evaporation. Some people find its persistent noise so annoying though others like it. Despite all this, evaporative humidifiers are the best option for babies.
This kind of humidifiers uses a spinning disc to disperse drops of water into the air in your child’s room. You have to desist from using tap water with this unit. It might expel micro-organisms and minerals into the air. The best option is to use distilled or demineralized water.
It is the cheapest kind of humidifier on the market. They use a heating element which evaporates water to become steam. These units are quieter and use the most electricity. You have to be careful when keeping them in a baby’s room. The heating element might become a burning hazard.
One of the most modern kinds of humidifiers, these use a high-frequency sound wave. It vibrates the water which in turn creates a mist. They are so quiet since they use no fan at all. Ultrasonic humidifiers do not use a filter.
They instead use demineralization cartridges which you have to replace after every few weeks. One problem with them is leaving a white dust on its surfaces. It comes from the minerals in the water.
Choosing The Right Humidifier For Your Baby
When you are to choose a humidifier, you have to know whether you need a cool or warm one. With that in mind, there are other variables to consider which parents would love in a humidifier for the child. These include the following:
Level of noise
Though most new units are quiet, I bet you will die for one which is near-silent n all settings. No one would go for a humidifier which interferes with their baby’s sleep.
The best humidifier for a baby’s nursery always comes with an automatic shut-off function. It allows humidifying to stop once the desired level is reached. It helps keep the optimal level of humidity plus saving electricity or any damage to the unit.
Nature of humidistat
You should look for a humidifier with adjustable humidistat. It is very beneficial in keeping the level of humidity in the baby’s room at an optimal level.
Ease of cleaning and refilling
How easy is it to clean the removable water reservoir? Is it a breeze to refill with water? You should look at a humidifier which is super easy to clean and refill. It has to come with a wide mouth for easy refilling and a carrying handle.
Protection against bacterial
Does the unit come with features to keep away bacteria? Your baby’s room should be free from anything which might endanger the child. It has to come with filters, cartridges or ultraviolet lights.
6 Top Humidifier Review
Honeywell HUL520W MistMate Cool Mist Humidifier
This is the best low priced edition for smaller rooms. The MistMate humidifier uses ultrasonic technology to put out a fine but visible cool mist. It keeps your baby’s room moisturized and comfortable. Its compact size makes it easy to move with and refill.
- Variable moisture output settings
- No filters required
- Runs up to 18 hours per filling on low setting
- Designed for small rooms and personal space
- Ultra quiet operation
Vicks Starry Night Cool Humidifier
This comes with the perfect features for babies. Its top is a projector which makes a beautiful sky on the room’s ceiling. It mesmerizes and soothes babies and toddlers. It also comes with a heater to diffuse a menthol vapor which soothes into your child’s room. This Vicks humidifier works well for medium rooms and comes with enough tank to last 24 hours till the next refill.
- VICKS STARRY NIGHT HUMIDIFIER: This cool moisture humidifier uses an antimicrobial filter & is great for kids bedrooms. Humidifier adds moisture to the air to help you or your child sleep easily, & moving stars light up the ceiling with a comforting glow.
- VICKS HUMIDIFIERS FOR BABIES, KIDS, ADULTS: Humidifiers diffuse moisture into the air, and many women and men find that a humidifier for the bedroom becomes an essential part of a good nights sleep when the air is dry, in allergy season, or when sick.
- COUGH & CONGESTION RELIEF: When you or your kid has a cold, it can be difficult to sleep through the night. Humidifiers, vaporizers, & steam inhalers provide temporary relief from coughing & congestion, so your rest won't be as disturbed by coughing fits.
- VICKS VAPORIZERS, HUMIDIFIERS, & STEAM INHALERS: Moisture & humidity offer temporary relief from cough & congestion due to colds or allergies. Vicks line of humidifiers & steam inhalers, help you breathe easier wherever you are, from the bedroom to office.
- HUMIDIFIERS FOR BEDROOMS, DESKS,TABLES: Our humidifiers & vaporizers help you breathe better wherever you are. Try a Vicks humidifier if you've found relief from vaporizer or humidifiers made by Vornado, Crane, Aircare, Sunbeam, Homedics, or Dyson.
Asom Ultrasonic Humidifier
This comes with a separate container for diffusing essential oils. It is cheap for its double function. The Asom Humidifier comes with a LED light having seven colors which are great fun for your baby or toddler. Its 360-degree nozzle lets you disperse vapor at the precise direction you want. It also keeps your furniture and floor free from the fine white mist.
- Premium Humidifier - moisturizes the air for up to 14 hours of continuous operation, Built-in 7 color LED night light, (Yellow, orange, Red, Purple, Indigo, Blue, Green).
- Diffuser - Humidifier for Home, Office, Bedroom, Spa and more.
- Automatic shut-off turns humidifier off when water level is low or the water tank is removed.
- Longer mist stream provides perfect coverage and leaves no condensation on the floor. Suitable for medium-sized to large rooms.
- 360-degree mist nozzle and Easily adjust the Vapor flow with the control knob,
Crane Adorable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
This humidifier comes in many animal shapes including elephant, frog, polar bear, owl, dog and cow. This Crane Adorable Ultrasonic Humidifier has a large gallon capacity and needs no filter. It comes with a spout on the top for directing the vapor where you need it to be.
- 1 GALLON TANK: Removable 1 gallon tank fits under most bathroom sinks for easy filling and runs whisper quiet up to 24 hours
- CLEAN CONTROL: Anti-microbial Material reduces mold and bacteria growth by up to 99.96%
- SOOTHING RELIEF: Ultrasonic Cool Mist effectively humidifies up to 500 square feet for easier breathing and a good night's sleep
- NO FILTER REQUIRED: This humidifier does not require a filter, but for homes with hard water, demineralization filters can be purchased and used with this unit
- AUTO SHUT-OFF SENSOR: Humidifier automatically shuts off when the water level is low. More energy efficient than a household light bulb - up to 45W. Recommended non-medicated alternative to over the counter cough and cold medicine
URPOWER 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier
It is a 3 in 1 unit which can work as an aromatherapy diffuser, humidifier and night light and uses advanced ultrasonic diffusion technology. With a vibration frequency at 2.4 million times each second, the URPOWER 500ml humidifier breaks water plus essential oils into fine particles without heat.
Further, it's high diffusion features guarantee the integrity of the oils molecular structure. It also allows their easy absorption into the body.
- 3 in 1 FUNCTIONS: Aromatherapy Diffuser, Humidifier, Night Light. PLEASE clean it at least once a week.
- ADVANCED Ultrasonic Diffusing technology which produces vibrations at a frequency of 2.4 millions times per second breaks water and essential oils into extremely fine micro-particles without using heat (heat alters and destroys the properties of essential oils). ULTRASONIC diffusing feature ensures the integrity of the essential oils' beneficial molecular structure and allows for ease of healthy bodily absorption.
- Large 500ml water capacity that can continue use up to 10 hours each time. When time is up or there is no water, it will turn off automatically. Press the "Mist" button, choose the timer from 60 mins, 120 mins, 180 mins or ON.
- This provides many health benefits e.g. improves breathing, strengthen the immune system, help to lift your mood and relieve stress.
- Unit may also be used as a non-aromatherapy humidifier. Provides moisture for Dry Cough, Sinus Irritation, Dry Skin.
TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier
Our last pick is this cool mist humidifier from TaoTronics. It comes with loads of bonus features including a timer with sleep mode plus a LED display. You can control the level of mist and set the standard of humidity to match your preference. It has a reusable micro-porous filter which helps keep away micro-organisms and harmful odors.
- Ultra-Silent with Ultrasounds: Ultrasonic air diffusion produces less than 38 dB of noise for a quiet humidification that won't keep you or your baby up at night
- Better, Safer Air: Microporous cartridge thoroughly filters the water and rids it of microorganisms for odorless, purer air
- Adjustable Vapor for Multiple Needs: Set humidity level and mist flow to fill up rooms up to 40-50 m² / 431-538 ft² and combat dry skin, wrinkles, winter cold, and mildew
- Up to 15 Hours of Mist: 4 L water capacity provides you with over half a day of adjustable humidification for purified air that will last well into the night
- Full of Features: Comes with a built-in timer, intuitive LED display, sleep mode, and a 360-degree rotatable nozzle for uniform distribution
As noticed from our six best humidifiers above, the Honeywell HUL520W MistMate Cool Mist Humidifier is what we consider to be the best. It comes packed with a myriad of additional features and serves a variety of purposes. Although humidifiers do not make the cold go away sooner, it’s nice to know that at least you have done your best.