It takes time plus patience to find the best baby car seat. We prepared this guide to make your search a breeze. After reading it, you will be in a position to know how to choose the best from the rest.
A mission to find the best car seat is like searching for the best family car. You’re bound to get overwhelmed with the various options of baby car seats. They are not created equally. Therefore, it helps to have ideas on how to buy the best baby car seat.
Understanding a car seat
A baby car seat is for babies weighing 35 to 30 pounds and a height ranging from 32 to 35 inches. They usually face the rear of the car. While sifting through the various car seats out there, you might begin doubting your reasons to look for one in the first place.
Well, here’s the catch. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it’s highly recommended that infants and toddlers should face the rear until they are about 2 years to sit in a car. They have to reach the weight and height requirements for the particular car seat.
Today, you can buy an infant cat seat that’s facing the rear or a convertible one. This allows extended rear-facing and grows with the baby. It all comes down to the decisions you make.
Types of baby car seats
There are basically two types of car seats. You have to weigh your options so that you can choose a seat which meets your requirements and budget.
Convertible car seats
These come with an average weight limit of 50 pounds or more. You can convert it to face the rear or the front. This is an all-in-one baby car seat suitable for use when the baby is small to face the rear. When the baby outgrows rear facing height and weight limit, the seat is converted to face the front.
Rear-facing baby car seat
This type of car seat comes with an average weight limit of not more than 40 pounds. It’s a newborn car seat which is rear facing. Some come with a handle to make carrying easy and moving in and out of the car. This is a wonderful choice when you don’t want to wake your baby.
Lifestyle baby car seat
This one comes with a bigger system. It comes with a stroller where the car seat is attached. It’s a wonderful option since you have a carrier where the car seat just fits.
How to install a baby car seat
What makes the best baby car seat
Regardless of whether you go for a convertible or regular baby car seat, there are some things to consider. It’s important to get the whole picture before you spend your money on any baby car seat. Have a look at these:
Top Baby Car Seat Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the car seat types and how to use a car seat, check out our top picks review.
Chicco keyFit baby car seat
This seat comes with unmatched safety and reliability. This is one of the best baby car seats you can buy. The Chicco KeyFit car seat is lightweight and portable to make putting it inside and out of the car a breeze.
This baby car seat is the most ideal for a mom on the go. The best thing about this baby car seat is the ability to quickly and easily connect to most Chicco strollers plus other brands too. It has infant insert suitable for smaller babies to make it premier compatible with no compromise on comfort and safety.
- Secures baby from 4 to 30 pounds
- Energy-absorbing foam for improved side-impact protection
- Removable newborn insert for smaller babies
- Audible click ensures keyfit is attached securely
- Premium featuring ultra light anodized aluminum frame with easy one hand fold
Britax B-Safe baby car seat
Safety comes first when handling infants. The Britax B-Safe is a wonderful option when looking for the safest car seat for your infant. This model ranks high for its deeper and steel framed seats. It also comes with energy-absorbing foam to give side protection.
The best thing about this baby car seat is availability in 7 colors. It also connects very well with most Britax strollers. This is a top pick for the best baby car seats you can buy.
- Side impact protection distributes crash forces, shields from vehicle intrusion and contains the head and body
- Tangle free, five-point harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the bod
- Stroller compatible design; Integrated click and go adapter system works with Britax B-Series strollers
- Four harness heights and two buckle positions for your growing child
- Ships in Certified Frustration Free Packaging
Graco SnugRide 35
Are you a mom on the go? Well, a lightweight infant is a wonderful companion. The Graco SnugRide 35 baby car seat is the most lightweight on the market and will not disappoint moms on the go. The company went back to the drawing board to come up with this amazing product.
Implemented with new technology, this car seat comes with a weight limit of 35 pounds. When looking for a long lasting baby car seat, you don’t have to look further than this.
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing newborn car seat helps protect infants from 4 - 35 pounds; and up to 32", making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
- These Graco infant car seats are rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standards and reassure safety-conscious parents
- SafeSeat Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
Evenflo SafeMax car seat
Let’s face it, getting a baby car seat should not cost you an arm and a leg. With the Evenflo SafeMax, your purchase is worth every penny.
This car seat has 3 shoulder harness positions for the growth of your baby. It’s lightweight but packed with safety and security of your little angel.
When looking for the best car seat, you can never go wrong with this model it’s rear facing and supports infants of up to 35 pounds.
- This All-In-One Convertible Car Seat fitting children from 5-120 pounds is the only car seat you'll ever need providing rear-facing, forward facing and booster capabilities
- The SafeMax Platinum helps protect rear facing infants from 5-40 pounds, forward facing toddlers from 22-65 pounds and high back belt positioning booster mode supports children 40-120 pounds
- The SafeMax Car Seat is the FIRST rollover-tested car seat offering exclusive impact absorbing headrest technology that dissipates crash forces combined with an integrated steel frame that provides extended safety from birth and beyond
- Quick Connector LATCH and guides allow for a simple, and correct installation of the car seat for the first time
- Other features include: OUTLAST Performance fabric to balance your child's temperature, buckle pockets to neatly tuck away the buckle tongues and prevent your child from getting hot belt burns, and removable cup holders for quick wash
How to Secure Your Newborn in a Car Seat
There are some things you should avoid on your baby car seat. These might include:
It’s important to move with the baby in the car when you are sure of his safety. This entails getting the best car seat on the market.
However, you should be careful while making a choice. Not all products are the same.
Hope our guide will make your purchase decision easy when it comes to finding the best baby car seat for your newborn.Invalid table id.